Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Trying To Conceive

I know I like to joke and keep things light in my blogs, but today I wanted to speak about a subject I had a hard time with - conceiving. 

For some people, getting pregnant is a one and done, wham, bam, thank you m'aam kind of thing. They blink and they are pregnant. For others, those others including myself, trying to conceive (Or "TTC" as they call it on all the mom message boards. I don't frequent them very often because they use tons of abbreviations. I feel like I'm deciphering the DaVinci Code. It took me months to realize that "AF" stood for "Aunt Flow." Just say period god dammit!) Where was I? Oh yes, trying to conceive is a total bitch. 

It's like I spent half of my life trying not to get pregnant, and now that I wanted to, I couldn't. Without getting into too much detail, my body was pretty jacked up because of all the blood thinners and various medications I had been on. I had been off birth control for an entire year, and guess what - NOTHING WAS HAPPENING. 

Each month was more emotionally devastating than the last. I'd log onto 'The Book' and at least four people had announced their pregnancies that day. I had begun to think that this whole motherhood thing was meant for everybody else, but not for me. I had been blessed with a lot of things, but maybe this just wasn't in my cards. I had kind of come to an acceptance with it, when one morning I was watching Good Morning America and saw a segment on this:
It was about a product called Preg Prep that was helping women who were having trouble getting pregnant, get pregnant. My ears perked up. It was now available over the counter and at your local CVS. They had the doctor who created it on as well as other women who couldn't get pregnant on with their children. So what did I do? I jumped in my car and headed to CVS. What did I have to lose? 

And so in October of 2015, I started Preg Prep. Basically, the idea behind it is kind of like the idea of cough medicine. We take a mucolytic to thin out the mucus in our lungs, which in turn thins out the mucus in our entire bodies (including our cervical mucus.) So in addition to the all-natural pre-natal supplement you take each today, in the five days leading up to ovulation you take FertilPrep which thins our your cervical mucus, making it easier on those little guys to swim on their long journey. 

Welp, cut to November of 2015. Guess what? It worked. I'm sure there were a number of factors involved as well, including my level of stress which had come down significantly, but I most certainly had Preg Prep to thank which helped increase my odds. 

Now, I know this product isn't going to work for everyone, I have many friends taking the IVF and adoption routes, but I wanted to share with you all my story and what actually ended up working for me. It's a long, tiring, and emotional road but whichever way it ends, is the way it's supposed to. 

And to all of my other fertility-challenged mama's out there, be sure to keep me posted if it works for you too ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment